2008년 7월 9일 수요일

Surge in Asian Enrollment Alters Schools

After reading NY times article- Surge in Asian Enrollment Alters Schools by Winnie Hu

I am going to write about the wild goose dad(기러기아빠). This article by Winnie Hu is about the affects by increasing of Asian students in the U.S. schools. It says, they brought new Asian cultures to America and how they outscored on tests.

However, this short paragraph Winnie Hu mentioned got my attention. She wrote, "Korean and Japanese mothers have been known to take their childeren to the U.S. for the school year while the fathers stay behind at high-paying corporate jobs in their own counries." Korean people call these fathers the wild goose dad(기러기아빠). I donnot know why they call it as wild goose dad but they are familiar to Korean people. I can easily find those wild goose families everywhere; in dramas, among my friends or in neighbors.

I believe it is better choice for their children's education. It is ture that U.S. has better education and school system than Korea or Japan. However, even I am a student study abroad in U.S. aloof from my family, I strongly diagree with the wild goose family. I think it is the way of ruining family's relationship. Like the story of Gil, Auck-ee's family in drama Club of One's Wife Married in Poverty (조강지처 클럽) shows. Mr. Gil is the wild goose dad and his wife took their son to the U.S. for the education. His business get dishonored overnight and he gets gastric cacer. He no longer can support his wife and son in the U.S. He decide to call them back to Korea. He believes they can reunite and live happily in Korea. But, his wife and son greatly disappointed in him by his failure without knowing his health problem. Also, his son could not adjust in Korean school. Finally Mr. Gil divorce with his wife and gives all the money send them to the U.S.

This Mr. Gil's story is not only from the drama. It can happen in the reality and it is happening to some of the wild goose faimilies. Winnie Hu did not mentioned about faulty in the wild goose family. However, as I watched several wild goose families, I realized it is wrong choice of well being and for the future. Family means together and their relationship is the most important thing to develop.

댓글 1개:

Paul :

-Please use spell check
-Edit once for review

Here's my suggested rewrite:

I am going to write about the wild goose dad(기러기아빠). This article by Winnie Hu is about the affects of increasing Asian students in U.S. schools. Winnie says that Asians brought cultures and higher test scores to schools.

However, this following paragraph got my attention. Hu wrote,
Korean and Japanese mothers have been known to take their children to the U.S. for the school year while the fathers stay behind at high-paying corporate jobs in their own countries."
Korean people call these fathers the wild goose dad(기러기아빠). I do not know why they call them as wild goose dad but this is common term in Korea. I can find those wild goose families everywhere; in television dramas, among friends and neighbors.

I believe it is better for Korean children's education. It is true that U.S. has better education and school system than Korea or Japan. However, as a student studying abroad in the U.S. far from my family, I strongly disagree with the wild goose family idea. This ruins family relationships.

In the story of Gil, Auck-ee's family in drama Club of One's Wife Married in Poverty (조강지처 클럽), Mr. Gil is a wild goose dad and his wife took their son to the U.S. for an education. His business gets dishonored overnight and he gets gastric cancer. He no longer can support his wife and son in the U.S. He decides to call them back to Korea. He believes they can reunite and live happily in Korea. But, his wife and son are greatly disappointed in him by his failure. They didn’t know about his health problem. His son could not adjust in the Korean school. Finally Mr. Gil divorces his wife and gives all the money to send them to the U.S.

This Mr. Gil's story is not only a television drama. It can happen in reality and it is happening to some of the wild goose families. Winnie Hu did not mention the problems in the wild goose families. However, as I watched several wild goose families, I realized it is wrong choice for the future. Family means being together and the relationships are important to develop.